Tuesday 3 March 2015

A Review Of The Holy Grail!

Well this little stomp-box (pedal? Foot switch? I think I prefer stomp-box, I stomps em' anyway...) is absolutely fantastic. I was honestly gobsmacked by pretty much every aspect of this little unit. 


And a unit it is, the little f****r could probably get through a nuclear blast unscathed. The Electro-Harmonix Nano Holy Grail is a reverb unit that really packs a hell of a punch. Featuring three reverb settings: Spring (much like on older reverb amps, really great for vintage tones), Hall (literally simulating the reverb of a hall, and its a hell of a hall too) and the aptly titled 'flerb' a combination of flange and reverb which is a really fantastic effect. It's also got a little knob to adjust the intensity of the effect. It's a nice small unit too, won't be taking up too much pedal-board real estate (i've honestly seen significantly larger tuners!). 

It sounds fantastic too, the spring reverb is just a dream if you're shootin' for some vintage tones. The 'hall' setting had me skeptical when I read this "how did they fit Notre Dame into such a small package?" on the product page. It genuinely delivers though, big time, the hall reverb is HUGE. The flerb is also an incredible sound, if a little bit too adventurous for me to ever really utilise (as i've previously stated, i'm a boring fart). I've used a lot of pro grade reverb units on recording software that don't compare to this, they do have a wider range of sounds though. This doesn't have a million and one options but what this little box does, it does well.

I'm not usually an advocate of reverb units to be frank. I don't really use them as I prefer natural reverberation, or in a pinch amp reverb. This wee box has changed my perspectives massively, to have this kind of sound on tap and at this price range is phenomenal and for it to take up so little space is a huge plus (especially since you'll probably be slapping this right at the end of a signal chain).

You can get one here. If you were in any way interested in getting a reverb unit, you will not regret it,

9/10


No comments:

Post a Comment